How do we get the best team ?

I've already told that one of the biggest question we asked ourselves is "How do we get the best team?" We've focused on expertise ; on core competencies ; compatibility and what not. But today, I realized that when we are building something new from the scratch, all that matters is how strong is the team's commitment and passion towards the dream they want to build.

I realized that my passion is my desire to understand the mystery behind human mind through our project and the rest matter a lot less to me, atleast as of now. For the first time, I began to question myself if I am a burden on the team, me being a dreamer who works to unveil some crazy answer to a puzzle which might have little practical hope.

This is my first team project in my life and I guess I had to learn it the hard way - one man cannot do everything as good as a well coordinated team can. The solution which we have come up with is to better organize our team with each subgroup focusing on one area in which they will develop expertise. We have the complete freedom to do what we want within our focus area untill we come up with an initial draft. Then, we will all sit together and refine the model putting in our own ways of looking at it.

Fortunately, we have a few people in mind who might fit well in certain focus areas. They are not experts, but I realized that an expert would not care much about developing something that is so radical and abnormal. They are better off doing incremental research for which they get paid. So we hope to find and build the best team required, a team which can see the idea through and find themselves a place that would charm them for the next few months atleast...

P.S: I started walking back to my room thinking, "Why don't I throw this in dustbin and get going with a normal life, studying for my grades, completing my half-worked papers and saying yes to people ?!" ... and like always, I end it with... "Here's why !"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment